Front view of the temple at Bhitargaon, Kanpur District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the ruined temple at Bhitargaon, about 20 miles south of Kanpur, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1878. This is a very important monument as it is probably the earliest surviving Gupta temple in terracotta. It has been dated to the 5th century. The temple is built on a square plan with double-recessed corners and is entered from the east. The sanctuary is covered by a tall pyramidal spire. The outer walls are decorated with terracotta panels positioned between pilasters. The outer walls are decorated with terracotta panels depicting aquatic monsters, Shiva and Vishnu. When Cunningham first visited the site, the remains of the porch and of the ardhamandapa or ante-room, which later collapsed, could be seen.