Photograph of the Adinatha Temple in Saurai, Jhansi District, part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880-1890s. The district of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh was ruled by a succession of dynasties under several different names, the most noted being the Chandella kings who ruled from the 9th to the 12th centuries. The majority of the Hindu and Jain temples that remain date to this period. The area was renamed Jhansi in the 17th century when it rose to power under the Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha, who built the fort in 1613 that the city was named after. Historically, Jhansi is often remembered for the young patriotic queen Lakshmi Bai, also known as the Rani of Jhansi, who became a national symbol of resistance to British rule. North-Western Provinces list states, '...In spite of its smallness, it is a fine building, as it is richly ornamented outside with two rows of sculptures, of which some are the usual naked standing figures of the Jainas, while the rest are Brahminical.'