Photograph of the five pillars, finely carved in deep relief, standing side by side in a garden. These were discovered in the neighbourhood, though not excavated, by Cunningham during his excavations of 1871-2. Cunningham, reported, ''A more important discovery [than the elephant capital] for the sake of ancient Indian art was that of no less than five large pillars of a Buddhist [Jain?] railing in an almost perfect state of preservation. These were placed in a small dharmsala near the Balbhadra tank, a short distance to the north of the Kankali mound, and close by the Buteswar mound, in which it is believed that they were discovered.'' A sixth pillar that appears to have been part of the same set was found seperately and was stored in the Calcutta museum at the time this photograph was taken. Each pillar has a nearly naked female depicted on the front whilst on the back, each is divided in three depicting different scenes from domestic or religious life.