Fragment of Buddhist sculpture showing a female devotee worshipping a lamp held up by a monk, Peshawar District
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a Buddist sculpture, representing a female devotee worshipping a lamp held by a monk, from an unknown location near Peshawar in the North West Frontier Province, and now in the Lahore Museum from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates). This photogrpah was taken in c.1883 and attributed to Henry Hardy Cole. This style of sculpture, influenced by Graeco-Roman elements, is known as Gandharan and takes its name from the ancient kingdom of Gandhara (Peshawar) which, together with Udyana (Swat), corresponded fairly closely to the northern part of the North West Frontier Province.