Front view of torana at the small stupa, Sanchi, Bhopal State
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gateway of Stupa 3 at Sanchi, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by Deen Dayal in 1882. Supa 3 was built between the 2nd century BC and the 1st Century AD and is situated close to the Great Stupa at Sanchi. After General Taylor came across the stupa in 1818, it was extensively reconstructed. Stupa 3, like the Great Stupa, consists of a hemispherical dome surrounded by a railing and approached through a carved gateway, rebuilt in 1883. In this view the pillars and the upper architrave are still standing. Other pieces are arranged on the ground in front. The scene carved on the architrave represents the Paradise of Indra. On the left pillar there is a stupa and on the right one the Wheel of Dharma. Below there are divine figures.