Front view of the Teli-ka-Mandir before restoration, Gwalior
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Teli-ka-Mandir in Gwalior, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1880. The Teli-ka-Mandir is a Hindu temple built in the middle of the 8th Century during the Pratihara period. The temple consists of a rectangular sanctuary covered by a masonry tower with a vaulted roof. Projections in the middle of each side of the tower continue those of the walls beneath. The niches on the outer walls are empty but the doorway is decorated with carved figures of river goddesses, amorous couples, foliation motifs and a flying Garuda on the lintel. This is a front view of the Teli-ka-Mandir before restoration.