Front view of the Ganesh Pol, Amber Palace
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ganesh Pol at Amber Palace taken sometime in the 1880s and attributed to Henry Hardy Cole (probably incorrectly). The palace at Amber was begun by Raja Man Singh circa 1600, with alterations continuing throughout the seventeenth century and beyond, until the fort was finally abandoned in 1727. The Ganesh Pol is so-called because of its painted panel of the god Ganesha above the entrance arch. As the gateway to the private appartments, the Pol is entered through two halls by a double right-angled route put in place as a security and defensive measure. Above the gateway is the Sohag Mandir pavilion, with three archways of pierced marble, or jali-work, placed above the the main archway, which allowed the ladies of the court to observe events below without being seen.