This photograph taken at Chitorgarh looking towards the Ahar-ki-darwaza gate, partially concealed by houses in the foreground, was taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882 and is part of the Archaeological Survey of India. The accompanying text reads, 'Near the Tower of Victory stands a fine stone temple, the Mokul-ji-ka-Mandir - dating from the 15th century A.D....North and east of this temple are two gate buildings, that to the east, here represented, opens into the street of the Sindhi Bazar, and the mud houses which encroach on it right and left might with great advantage be removed. The architecture of the gate is purely Hindu; the delicate carvings are applied with taste, but vegetation is destroying the fabric, which, unless speedily strengthened, will fall to the ground.' H.H. Cole, Preservation of national monuments in India (vol II, 1884, part 8, Meywar) Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.