Front view of the chhatri or cenotaph of Singram Singh, Ahar, near Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the chhatri or cenotaph of Amar Singh, Ahar, near Udaipur in Rajasthan taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. The picture forms part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. Ahar, home of the royal cremation ground, is located about two miles away from the town of Udaipur. The cenotaphs at Ahar are memorials to the Rajput rulers of Udaipur. The chhatri of Amar Singh (died 1621) is the most remarkable and has a basement decorated with friezes and a quadruple-faced image in its middle. It also incorporates panels of bas-reliefs depicting ranis who chose sutee; widows who chose to throw themselves on their husband's funeral pyre.