Front view of the Chaumukh Temple, Satrunjaya 10032055
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chaumukh Temple at Satrunjaya, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s-90s. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment.
On the two summits of the hill, which rise 600 metres above the plain around the town of Palitana, there are many hundreds of multi-spired temples where every day pilgrims come to pay reverence to the different Jain saints. The Chaumukh Temple, located on the northern edge of the hill, is one of the most important temples of Satrunjaya. It was rebuilt in 1618. The square sanctuary enshrines a four faced image of Adinath of white marble in a shrine open on four sides.