Five-storeyed gopura of the Pattabhirama Temple, Vijayanagara.
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the five-storeyed gopura of the Pattabhirama Temple, at Vijayanagara in Karnataka, taken by Henry Hardy Cole in 1885. Vijayanagara, the City of Victory, was founded on the bank of the Tungabhadra River in the fourteenth century and was the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India until its defeat by Muslim armies in 1565. The sixteenth-century Pattabhirama Temple complex, dedicated to Rama, is situated on the outskirts of Vijayanagara. It is enclosed by a high rectangular wall entered through pyramidal gateways with diminishing storeys on the east, north and south. The principal gateway to the complex, seen in this view, is a rectangular construction with a central passageway and a pyramidal brick and plaster tower of ascending diminishing storeys. The temple consists of a shrine with a vestibule and two pillared halls, an Amman shrine and 'kalyana mantapa' (hall for performing the wedding ceremony of the deity), all set within an expansive rectangular court.