Front view of Trimul Naik's Palace, Madurai
Photographer: Rea, Alexander
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the front view of Trimul Naik's Palace, Madurai taken by Alexander Rea c.1890. This view shows the main gate and glimpses of buildings within what is now known as the Tirumalai Nayak Palace. Built in 1636, as a focal point of his capital at Madurai, Tirumalai Nayak intended the palace to be one of the grandest in south India. Yet shortly after the palace's construction in 1659, Tirumalai's grandson, Chokkanatha, took the Nayaka throne. During his reign the capital was transferred to Tiruchirapalli. The move led to the dismantling of large parts of the palace and this entrance gate, along with the courtyard, main hall and dance hall are the only parts of the palace that are left extant from the original structure. Lord Napier, in his role as governor of Madras rebuilt parts in the late 1860s, yet the palace standing today, while still impressive, is only a fraction of what once stood at the site.