Photograph of the façade of carved pillars of the Sheshagirirayar Mandapa, Ranganatha Temple, Srirangam taken c. 1884 and credited to H.H. Cole in Bloch's list. However, the print is reproduced in photogravure in Cole's Preservation of National Monuments in India (vol II, (?) Calcutta, c. 1884), part 9, Temples at Trichinopoly, pl. ix, and is there credited to Nicholas & Co. This Vaishnava complex is situated on the holy island of Srirangam in the Cauvery River. The building of the temple started in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out between the 13th and the 17th centuries under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into seven concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopuras in the middle of four sides. The gopuras at Srirangam consist of pyramidal brick and plaster towers covered with bright coloured sculptures. The view shows the row of pillars richly carved in the form of rearing horses, on the façade of the Sheshagirirayar mandapa situated in front of the east gopura and belonging to the 16th century.