Photograph of the free-standing pillar, Balagamve [Balligave] taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. Balligave is located in the modern state of Karnataka. This column was erected by the Chalukyas to commemorate a military victory. Henry Cousens described it: "...a very interesting column in the middle of the village. It stands upon a raised mound, and reaches a height of over thirty feet, although the breadth of the shaft measures no more than fifteen inches. The top is finished off with a spreading octagonal moulded capital, which is surmounted by a broad abacus or slab. Upon this stands a statue of the fabulous two-headed bird, the ganda-bherunda, supposed to have been the mortal enemy of elephants and to have fed upon their flesh...An inscription on the base of the column records its erection...in Saka 969 (A.D. 1047)..." The capital of the column is a nineteenth century reproduction of the original which is now kept in the base.