Flag Staff Pagoda, Rangoon, with European barracks in foreground
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection, taken by J. Jackson in c.1868. View looking south across the European Infantry Barracks towards the Flag Staff or Signal Pagoda in Rangoon (Yangon). Yangon means 'end of strife' and the city was built in the mid-18th century on the site of ancient Dagon by King Alaungpaya after his conquest of Lower Burma. Situated near the sea and served by a navigable river, by the late 18th century Rangoon was an important port. The British military presence in Rangoon was established at the start of the Second Anglo-Burmese war in 1852, and continued under the subsequent British occupation of Lower Burma. The barracks were stationed on Pagoda Hill to the south of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda, with the Signal Pagoda below. An overgrown shrine, the pagoda’s name was derived from its colonial use as a signalling station for vessels in the Rangoon River, visible in the distance.