Frere Hall, Kurrachee [Karachi].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Frere Hall, Kurrachee (Karachi) from the 'Crofton Collection: Topographical and architectural views mostly in India', taken by an unknown photographer in c. 1865. Built in 1865, the Frere Hall is now known as the Liaquat Hall on account of the Liaquat Municipal Library on the ground floor. The building is an incredible example of Anglo-Indian architecture, complete with Gothic steeples and was built in memory of Sir Bartle Frere, Commissioner of Sind, 1851-1859. Designed by Colonel Clair Wilkins, the gardens around the building were added in 1887-88 by Mr. Benjamin Flinch. The building was the hub of Karachi’s social activities; serving as the Town Hall where regular public meetings, concerts and theatrical performances were once held.