Fort of Sattara.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of the Fort of Satara from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1855. Satara lies in a shallow basin between two hills near the confluence of the Krishna and Verna rivers. The old Cantonment contains the Residency (1820) used in 1849 by the British colonial administrator, Sir Henry Bartle Frere (1815-1879). The old British lines were situated outside the north gate.