Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of the Fort, Bangalore from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1855. Founded by Kempe Gowda in 1537, the cantonment was used in the early 18th century as a more salubrious location for the British garrison than the malaria-ridden island at Seringapatam. By the end of the century Bangalore was a well established and flourishing garrison town. It was sieged several times during the Anglo-Mysore Wars of the late 18th Century when the British fought against the Rajas of Mysore Haidar Ali (c.1722 - 1782) and his eldest son, Tipu Sultan (1753 -1799).