Front of the Motisah Temple [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Motisah Temple, Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill, in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. Outside the front entrance of the Motisah, on the left, there is a tank or kunda with a small shrine. The enclosure is surrounded by high walls with round towers at the corners and is entered by a gate under a massive square projecting tower on the east side. The square with many temples was constructed in 1836 by the merchant family of Motisah Amichand from Bombay.