Front interior view, Jamma Masjid, Adoni, Bellary District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the front interior view of the Jama Masjid at Adoni, in Andhra Pradesh, taken from a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India in 1895-96. This view shows the arcaded facade surmounted by a bulbous dome of the Jama Masjid. The Mosque was built by Masud Khan, governor of Sikandar Adil Shah of Bijapur, who retired at Adoni in 1683. The complex is entered through a large gate incorporating narrow minarets. The prayer hall of twenty-five bays has alternating vaults and shallow domes. Slender flanking minarets are decorated with stone chains. The dome, now much diminished, rises on a petalled neck. Side doorways within the hall are surrounded by panels and elaborate pediments. The Report for 1906-07 also states, "There are several mosques in the town, but this is the most important. It stands in an extensive courtyard, and is largely constructed of stones, some of which are finely carved."