Front view of Thaligai Temple
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Thali Temple, Malabar District, Calicut Taluk, Kerala, taken by a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India around 1900-01.
Kozhikkode Thali is very ancient Siva temple complex which dates back to the Zamorin rule. The temple was renovated in the 18th century after the distruction by Tippu Sultan and Hyder Ali. The present structure dates back to the rule of Manavikraman. The temple has the deeply-overhanging tiered roofs with terracotta tiling and richly-carved wooden gables characteristic of this area of high rainfall. The two storeyed sanctuary is preceded by a chamber decorated with intricate wood carving. North-east of the complex there is a shrine dedicated to Krishna. In the second volume of his work 'Malabar' of 1887, William Logan wrote about this temple, "The Talli temple is in kasaba amsam in a locality of the same name in the heart of the Calicut town close to the Zamorin's old palace. The temple is a very ancient one... It is dedicated principally to Siva, though Vishnu, Bhagavati, Ganapati and Ayyappan are also worshipped. The temple contains sculptures of a high order as well as paintings intended to perpetuate Hindu religious legends. Attached to the temple is a tank ...used for bathing purposes."