Fountains in front of Gopal Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of fountains at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The 18th-century residence of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig was begun by Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33) and continued by his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). It was conceived as a beautiful garden palace, consisting of pavilions arranged around a formal garden flanked by tanks or reservoirs. The garden was laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh, divided into four parterres by raised walkways and water channels with a myriad of fountains running from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The tanks supplied water to the fountains and other water features designed to evoke the romance of the monsoon season. This view shows one of the water channels in the foreground, leading to the Gopal Bhavan, the principal pavilion at the western edge of the garden. The marble arch on the terrace is the frame for a swing or hindola.