From Cantonment Gardens, Rangoon
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Cantonment Gardens, Rangoon, taken by the firm of Bourne & Shepherd during the 1870s. This was a popular view of Cantonment Gardens, situated immediately to the south-west of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda within the military cantonment. The Shwe Dagon is Burma's most revered Buddhist shrine and dates to somewhere between the 6th and 10th centuries, but in this earthquake prone area, the pagoda has been rebuilt numerous times and the complex in its current form dates to 1769.The Cantonment gardens were planned in 1854-56 by William Scott of the Calcutta Botanic Gardens and laid out by the city's Public Works Department. With a summerhouse to the left and a rustic wooden bridge to the right, the view is centred on the spire of the Shwe Dagon and its reflection in the lake. A gilded bell-shaped stupa, the pagoda can be glimpsed from all over Rangoon due to its elevated postion on Singuttara Hill.