Façade of the 'Treasury' or Hall of Audience (or possibly Guards' Quarters), Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the 'Treasury' or Hall of Audience (or possibly Guards' Quarters) at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. Vijayanagara, the City of Victory, was the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India from 1336 until the defeat by the Muslim armies in 1565. It was built on the bank of the Tungabhadra River surrounded by granite hills. The ruins of this vast royal city are divided into two main groups, the sacred centre and the royal centre. The royal centre was the residential area of the royal household and included zones associated with the ceremonial, administrative and military functions of the rulers. The structure in this view is an example of civic architecture. It is generally referred as 'Guards' Quarters although its real function is not known. It is a rectangular building with a raised verandah and an arcade disposed around an interior courtyard.