Façade of the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. This 16th century complex, dedicated to Rama, is situated on the outskirts of Vijayanagara. It is enclosed by a high rectangular wall entered through pyramidal gateways with diminishing storeys. It consists of a shrine with a vestibule and two pillared halls, all set within a very large rectangular court. The outer walls of the temple are carved with slender pilasters. The columns of the mandapa are made of clusters of colonnettes.