Front of Shah Alam's Tomb, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Shah Alam's Tomb at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Shah Alam's tomb was built in 1485 by Taj Khan Nariali, a noble in the court of Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511). The tomb, or dargah, is one of a complex of buildings, including a mosque and the Jamaat Khana, or Audience Hall, situated two miles outside the city. Shah Alam was the son of the Muslim saint Qutb-ul Alam who is buried at Batura, a further four miles south of the city. Shah Alam's tomb stands on a low platform with three concentric pillared halls; the outer hall is enclosed by stone trellis work. The inner enclosure is covered in a dome supported by 12 pillars, with the tomb itself in the centre. There is an entrance on each of the four sides. This view shows the main entrance porch on the west facade of the tomb, taken from the south-west.