Front view of the inlet sluice of the Khan Sarowar Tank, Patan
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the inlet sluice of the Khan Sarowar Tank at Patan in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This tank was the largest still in use in Patan when Cousens took this photograph. There are stone steps that descend to the water and around the edge of the tank. It was probably originally constructed by the Solanki Kings when Patan was their capital in the 11th and 12th centuries. It was completely renovated in the late 16th century by the Emperor Akbar's (r.1556-1605) governor in Gujarat. The water for the tank passes under a small bridge into a large, circular tank, and then through the columns of a second bridge. The water then runs along a channel to another large basin, then a masonry-lined channel which leads to a sluice and finally to the tank itself. This view shows the three massive stone inlet pipes, surmounted by two pavilions on the platform above.