Fallen pillars, Taramangalam
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of fallen pillars at Taramangalam in Tamil Nadu, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1870, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple, dedicated to Shiva, bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a pyramidal gopura, a five tiered gateway covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. The temple has a remarkable series of sculptures carved on the walls and the granite roof, such as figures of tortoise, fish, monkeys and crocodiles. This view shows carved broken pillars lying on the ground.