General view of the Seringham Pagodas from the top of gateway.
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gopurams at the Ranganatha temple at Srirangam, taken by Samuel Bourne in 1869. The Ranganatha temple is a Vaishnava complex situated on the artificial island of Srirangam in the Cauvery River near Tiruchirapalli. The building of the temple started in the later Chola period in the early 11th century but much of it was added on from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple, the largest such complex in south India, covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopurams in the middle of four sides. These gopurams are pyramidal brick and plaster towers covered with bright coloured sculptures and are vaulted on top with little pot finials.