Govt. House at corner of Maidan, Calcutta.
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Government House, Calcutta, from the Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken by Bourne & Shepherd in the 1870s. The Government House had been the official residence of the Governor-General since it was commissioned by Marquess Wellesley in 1798. It was made of brick covered in gleaming white plaster, and was a showpiece building for the showpiece capital of the British in India. The architect Captain Charles Wyatt (1759-1818) was an officer in the Bengal Engineers. He based his design on James Paine's and Robert Adam's plans for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, which, with its central block and four detached wings linked to the centre by curving corridors, allowed good circulation of air. Four ceremonial gateways were included, two of which crossed Esplanade Row. Their design was based on Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex. Renamed Raj Bhavan, the building is now the residence of the Governor of West Bengal.