Great Arch and Iron Pillar, Delhi.
Photographer: Rust, Thomas A.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph in the Qutb complex, Delhi, from the Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken by Thomas A. Rust in the 1870s. The Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque is one of the earliest extant in India and was begun in 1192 by Qutub-ud-din Aibak. The Qutb Minar 72.5 m tall, built as a celebratory victory tower and as minar attached to the Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque, was begun by Qutub-ud-din Aibak in 1199 and completed by his successor Iltutmish (r. 1211-36) in 1215, although the two upper tiers were rebuilt at later dates. The Iron Pillar 23ft high, situated in the courtyard of the Quwwat-ul-Islam (Might of Islam) Mosque is dated to the Gupta period with Sanskrit inscriptions from the 4th or 5th century. This pillar was taken from a Vishnu temple and placed at this site before the construction of the complex.