Government House [Calcutta], South Front
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Government House from 'Views of Calcutta and Barrackpore' was taken in the 1860s by Samuel Bourne. Government House, designed by Captain Charles Wyatt and built between 1799-1802, was the residence for the British Governors-General till 1911. The neo-classical architectural style was based on Robert Adam's design of the Derbyshire's Kedleston Hall which was completed in 1770.