General view of Kidderpore Docks: Calcutta
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken in1893 by an unknown photographer of the Kidderpore Docks. In March 1884, the Secretary of State confirmed Kidderpore as the site for the new docks, which were to provide suitable accommodation for the export trade. Dock number one, the outer dock, was primarily intended for vessels bringing imports and loading export cargoes. Dock number two, the inner dock, had a frontage set apart for the discharge of salt ships. The view here looks north along dock one from the swing-bridge connecting it with dock two. The nearest steamer on the left can be identified as the "Saint Pancras" of Liverpool.