Group with Lord Minto at the Ellora Caves
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the group with Lord Minto at the Ellora Caves, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1900s, from the 'Views of the Caves of Ellora and Ajunta, Nizams Dominions, [by] Raja Deen Dayal & Sons, State Photographers'. Lord Minto (the fourth Earl of Minto) succeded Lord Curzon as Viceroy of India in 1905-1910. He had fought in the Afghan War in 1879. In this view he is seen together with his party during the viceregal tour at the spectacular site of Ellora. The place is famous for more than thirty Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples which were excavated into the rocky façade of a basalt cliff under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and 9th centuries. The most impressive monument at the site is the Kailasanatha temple which is carved entirely out of the basaltic mountainside. The temple symbolises the mythical Kailasa mountain, the abode of Shiva in the Himalayas.