General view of works, [from] upper window [of] office, looking towards N.E. [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
The idea for the construction of a wet docks for the use of shipping in Bombay harbour was first suggested by M. Malet when member of Council in 1855. In 1866, Russell Aitken, Executive Engineer to the Municipality prepared the foundation of a Harbour and Dock Trust which could raise money for the construction of wet docks on the Elphinstone and Mody Bay reclamations as private companies had gone into a recession. Thus, the Port Trust was founded in June 1873 and plans for a wet dock was prepared by the Chief Engineer Thomas Ormaston. In 1875, the first stone was laid in the hope that the new dock would create a prosperous revolution in the trade of Bombay. In April 1879, the Prince's Dock was thrown open by the Governor of Bombay, Sir Richard Temple. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government and was approved. The extension which later came to be called Victoria Dock was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft. long by 230 ft. wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance.