Gwalior new Palace (looking West)
Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jai Vilas or Victory Palace at Lashkar near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Lala Deen Dayal in the 1870s. The Jai Vilas Palace was built by Maharaja Jayaji Rao Sindhia (ruled 1843-1886) to celebrate a visit by the Prince of Wales in 1876. It was designed by Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Michael Filose in a classically-inspired style incorporating Doric, Tuscan, Corinthian and Palladian elements, and was built of sandstone painted white. The Scindias were one of the five powerful Maratha dynasties and established themselves as the ruling family of Gwalior when they took possession of the famous hillfort of Gwalior in the mid-18th century. The Jai Vilas is one of the grandest of India’s palaces inspired by European architectural styles and was built as a modern alternative to the old Hindu and Islamic palaces contained within the hillfort. This is a view of the main south façade, with a towered central range which contained the state rooms. The photograph is from an album containing topographical and architectural views in Central India taken by Lala Deen Dayal (1844-1905). The majority of prints are signed and represent some of his earliest work.