Government House, Guneshkhind, Poona [Pune]. 21
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Government House in Pune from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Pune is located south-east of Bombay in Maharashtra. In the 18th century, it was the capital of Raja Shivaji, the Maratha king who defied the Moghul emperor Aurangzeb. In 1817, the British gained control of Pune. They based the summer headquarters of the Government of Bombay here and established a large military cantonment. The Government House was designed by James Trubshawe in 1866 and loosely based on Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. This photograph shows an exterior view of the building. On the right, there is a high watertower with an open iron cupola.