General view of works taken from top of well No 44 in north abutment, [Nadrai Aqueduct, Lower Ganges Canal], March 1888.
Medium: Photographic print
The album of 46 prints detailing the construction of the Nadrai Aqueduct, Lower Ganges Canal was found in the Map Room of the India Office Library and Records in the 1970s and depicts various stages of its construction between May 1887 and 1890. There were two Ganges canals in the North-Western Provinces: the Upper Ganges Canal, opened since 1854, and the Lower Ganges canal, which underwent construction in the late 1860s. The Lower Ganges Canal was "intended to completely provide for the irrigation of the southern portion of the country lying between the Ganges and the Jumna rivers, as the Ganges canal proper" had already provided for the northern portion.
This aqueduct was built to replace a much smaller one previously destroyed by flood in 1885.