Government House & Banqueting Hall, Madras.
Photographer: Nicholas Bros
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Government House and the Banqueting Hall in Madras was taken by Nicholas Bros in the 1860s to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Government House, seen here on the left, was originally the property of the wealthy Luis and Antonia de Madeiros, after whose family many think Madras is named. Antonia sold the property to the East India Company in 1753 when it became Home of the Governors of Madras from the time of Thomas Saunders until Independence. It was considerably remodelled in circa 1900 under the patronage of Lord Edward Clive, who also built the adjoining Banqueting Hall (now Rajaji Hall). Subsequent to this photograph, a deep columned verandah was added to the building's exterior in 1895. The Banqueting Hall itself was designed as a venue for state entertainment by John Goldingham, engineer and astronomer to the East India Company. It is neo-classical in style with columns of the Doric order. Since this photograph was taken, the Banqueting House has also been altered with the addition of a lower arcaded storey around the main hall, added in 1875.