Photograph of the fountain constructed in 1883 in the Government Garden, Karachi, in memory of Bombay philanthropist Cowasjee Jehangir Readymoney, taken by an unknown photographer, c.1900, from an album of 46 prints titled 'Karachi Views'. The gardens were designed by Major Blenkins for supplying British troops stationed in Karachi with fresh vegetables. Many varieties of fruit and vegetables were grown here, there was also a large vineyard and a collection of animals started by Strachan and Ffinch, the director of the Indo-European Telegraph. Karachi, once the capital of Pakistan, is now the capital of Sindh province and the major port and main commercial centre of the country. It was a strategically located small port (Kharak Bunder) at a protected natural harbour on the Arabian Sea north-west of the mouth of the Indus, and was developed and expanded by the British, when they took over Sindh in the mid-19th century, to serve the booming trade from the Punjab and the wheat and cotton regions of the sub-continent.