Ghats near the S. end of the bridge [Tiruchchirappalli]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the river ghats at Tiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Trichinopoly ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. Tiruchirapalli, an important British cantonment in the 19th century, was governed in the earlier periods, successively by the Pandyas, Cholas, the Vijayanagara dynasty and the Nawab of Arcot. The town, situated on the banks of river Kaveri, is dominated by a massive granite rock rising steeply, more than 83 metres housing a Fort. This view shows the river ghats near the bridge built by Captain Edward Lawford in 1849.