Gaur. Qadam Rasul Mosque.
Photographer: Ravenshaw, John Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken in the 1860s by John Henry Ravenshaw, one of 45 prints in the album 'Gaur: Its Ruins and Inscriptions'. The ruined city of Gaur is located on the India-Bangladesh border in the Malda district of Bengal. Previously known as Lakshmanavati or Lakhnauti, the city was an ancient capital of Bengal, a seat of the Budddhist Pala dynasty from the 8th century and later the Hindu Sena dynasty from the 12th century. The Hindu kings were overcome by the Delhi Sultanate in the early 13th century and Gaur became the capital of the Sultans of Bengal, and together with neighbouring Pandua a centre of provincial Islamic culture until its abandonment in the late 16th century. The Qadam Rasul, a single-domed square edifice, was built by Sultan Nusrat Shah in 1530 to enshrine a stone reproduction of an impression of the Prophet's foot. It has a verandah forming a barrel-vaulted corridor on three sides which is elaborately decorated on the eastern side. Arched entrances pierce the north, south and east sides.