General view of the Eastern of Lukachuri Gate, Gaur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This is one of a series of photographs taken by Joseph Beglar for the Archaeological Survey of India in the 1870s. The Lukachuri or East Gate situated within the fort ramparts at Gaur. It is a mid-seventeenth century structure built by the local ruler Shah Shuja during the imperial reign of the Mughal Shah Jahan (r. 1628-57) in Delhi. It is built in the Mughal style and comprises a central arch flanked by smaller arched entrances of two storeys on either side. It is brick built with a plaster facing. The two buildings to the front of the gateway were guardrooms.