General view of the Minar of Firoz Shah [Firoz Minar], Gaur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph shows the Firoz Minar in the former sultanate capital of Gaur taken by Joseph Beglar in the 1870s for the Archaeological Survey of India. Although the minar is in a ruinous state, it has since been much restored. The tower was built c.1487-8 by the Abyssinian ruler Saifuddin Firoz Shah. It is 25.6m (84ft) high and comprises five storeys, the first three of which are decorated with chain motifs while the upper two are covered with parallel borders. On each floor there is a door which faces west and an internal staircase of 73 steps leads to the top. It was originally associated with an accompanying mosque that no longer survives.