General view from the south-east of the Jagannatha Temple, Puri from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892. Puri in Orissa, is one of the four traditional pilgrimage centres for Hindus, and the centre of the cult of Jagannatha, a form of Krishna. The main shrine, with a towered sanctuary and mandapa with a pyramidal roof, is attributed to Anantavarman Chodaganga of the Eastern Ganga dynasty (r.1077-1147). Other mandapas were added in the 13th and 15th Centuries. The rectangular complex has many other minor shrines and is within a high double-walled enclosure with four gates at the cardinal points. This is a general view of temple complex, from the upper storey of a neighbouring building, looking down onto the east entrance. The column in the right foreground originally stood in front of the Surya Temple at Konarka. It is a multi-faceted column on a carved base with a figure of Aruna on top.