General view from south-east of Khandgiri Hill, with modern Jain temple on the summit
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the hillside at Khandgiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khangiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there are some Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa) around the 1st BC. At the summit of Khandgiri or 'Broken Hill' there is a Jain temple from the 19th century built in the traditional Orissan style of architecture. This is a view of Khandgiri Hill from the south-east with the towers of the modern Jain temple visible on the skyline.