General view looking towards the Hathi Gumpha Cave, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Hathi Gumpha Cave, Udayagiri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892. The twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, have a group of Jain cave temples, called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. The Hathi Gumpha or 'Elephant Cave' is a large natural cavern that was slightly enlarged. The cave has no architectural features but it does have an inscription over the entrance of King Kharavela who reigned in the 1st century BC. Other Brahmi inscriptions contain the names of monks and ascetics.