General view from the south-east of an unnamed Jain Cave, Khandgiri Hill (or Udayagiri)
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an unnamed Jain Cave, Khandgiri (Broken Hill), taken by W.H.Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri (Hill of sunrise), near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of sandstone. Most of these massive and austere caves were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. They generally have one or more plain cells with a flat ceiling. Some are double storeyed and have pillared verandas. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures.