General view from south-west of the Sarpa Gumpha (Serpent Cave), with the Hathi Gumpha beyond, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
A general view from south-west of the Sarpa Gumpha, with the Hathi Gumpha beyond at Udayagiri in Orissa. This photograph is from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish, in c.1892. These caves are part of a series of Jain cave temples, called 'gumpha' locally, in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. The Sarpa Gumpha, or Serpent Cave, derives it name from the shape of the rock over the verandah which is carved to resemble a three hooded snake. The Hathi Gumpha is a large natural cavern that is renowned for the inscription of King Kharavela above the entrance.