General view from the south of the entrance to the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the west of the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings around 1st century BC. The Bagh Gumpha is a small cave so called on account of the similarity of its shape with the head of a tiger with open jaws.